The Samsung galaxy tab(considered the only legitimate competitor to cupertino’s stellar seller,the Apple iPad) has sold 1 million units worldwide(speculative).
What does this number mean ? not much.., these numbers are definitely not high, considering it was pitched directly against the ipad. Samsung must not be very convinced of this number since they had very high expectations for this device.For reference, the Tab sold 600,000 units on November 22nd. So, you can get the picture , right ?
My short cameo with the Tab left me very unimpressed with its incompatibility issues, lag and some other annoying things especially the form factor, well that’s me. And there are 1 million people who are not me,and have bought this device.That’s quite a number of people and it clearly explains the marketing muscle of Samsung.
If you are still interested in buying the Tab check the specs out here.
The current market price for the Galaxy Tab in India is Rs.37,500/-
The Samsung Galaxy tab, touted to be the ipad-killer, has been launched in India, which Samsung India says is one of the first three countries in the world to get the tablet.
Lets quickly look at the Specs :
- Android 2.2 running TouchWiz 3.0
- 7-inch TFT LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution (WSVGA)
- Weighs 380 grams
- 1GHz Cortex A8 processor
- 16GB or 32GB internal storage
- microSD expansion for up to 32GB additional storage
- Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and rear 3 megapixel camera with flash
- 4,000mAh battery
- 3G data / voice (there’s a speakerphone and Bluetooth for phone calls, but no earpiece)
- 5GHz dual-band 802.11n WiFi
- Standard back color is white, carriers might offer different colors
- Full HD video playback
- There’s a 30-pin dock connector on the bottom that allows for HDMI, USB, and dockingaccessories (a car dock at least is planned)
Well, the clear stand-outs are 7″ inch display and Full HD video playback(1080P) , apart from that its just a blown up Galaxy S.
According to Engadget, the Andoid Froyo in the Galaxy tab is not yet ready for tablet consumption and they say it looks like a 7″ android phone, they say.Click here for their detailed preview.
Coming to the Indian launch, seems Samsung did not reveal the price , but the clever folks at fonearena and zomgitscj have found that to be Rs.38,000. This is for the 3g version, a WiFi only version is coming soon.Comparing with the Apple ipad ,now selling in the grey market for 32,000 (the 3G version) , the galaxy tab is pretty costly. But, warranty can be a big issue with a grey market ipad. So, its kind of hard to decide , but for the Indian market, i can easily say that galaxy tab will not sell that much.
So, people.. tell me, do you see this as a luxury device or a mass-market device ?